Listed in Miami
- 4001 Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood, FL 33021
- (954) 961-5500
American Board of Plastic Surgery, 1999
Available Facial Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Face Lift: Also known as a rhytidectomy, a face lift addresses skin laxity in the face and neck. Dr. Shuster works to return the soft tissues in a natural way to provide a desirable look.
- Eyelid Surgery: Aesthetic eyelid surgery is performed on both the upper and lower eyelids to increase their appearance and reduce puffy, wrinkled, or excessive skin.
- Brow Lift: An endoscopic brow lift alleviates a tired or heavy appearance by raising the brow through two or three small incisions behind the hairline giving you a more rested and youthful appearance.
- Rhinoplasty: Commonly referred to as a nose reduction or revision, a rhinoplasty procedure alters the appearance of your nose to a desired shape or size.
- Ear Surgery: Otoplasty, or ear surgery, is often performed on children between the ages of four and 14, but is also possible on adults to adjust the position or size of ears.
- Botox: A quick and effective treatment for wrinkles, Botox injections are a popular office procedure that provides results in as little as one day and can last up to six months.
- Juvederm: This injectable gel creates volume by utilizing natural elements, and is a popular choice for lip enhancement, creating facial contours, and smoothing wrinkles.
- Lip Enhancement: Lip enhancements add volume and definition to your lips with injectable facial fillers such as Juvederm, your own tissue, or through a process called “lip roll”.
Types of Breast Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Breast Augmentation: Breast augmentation is the process of enhancing the size and shape of the breasts. Breast augmentation can be performed in a variety of different ways, and with a range of different implant types.
- Transaxillary Breast Augmentation: A transaxillary breast augmentation procedure involves inserting implants through an inconspicous incision made in the natural crease of the armpit. Dr. Shuster not only prefers this method of breast augmentation, it is his specialty.
- Breast Lift: A breast lift, or mastopexy, is designed to help rejuvenate the breasts by improving their shape and position. A mastopexy helps breasts that have ptosis or are sagging and is often one of the most rewarding plastic surgery procedures.
- Breast Reduction: Women with large breasts may experience a number of problems caused by this excessive weight. They may also be unhappy with the appearance of their breasts. A breast reduction procedure is designed to make the breasts smaller, lighter, and firmer while giving them a better shape that is in proportion to the rest of their body.
- Revision Breast Surgery: Revision surgery is a procedure that is designed to improve upon prior breast augmentation procedures.
- Breast Implants: There is no one type of breast implant that is right for every patient. Many considerations go into choosing the right implant. Dr. Shuster will consult with you to help you choose the breast implant that is right for you.
Body Plastic Surgery
A positive body image can encourage and promote high self-esteem. Dr. Shuster understands the dramatic impact that these surgical procedures can have, and offers a variety of procedures to help you achieve your desired look.
- Surgery after Weight Loss: Individuals that have lost a great deal of weight or have undergone bariatric surgery often develop laxity in their skin and soft body tissues. Such laxity often develops to varying degrees and can cause cosmetic deformity, hygiene problems, and secondary health risks. Surgery after dramatic weight loss can help improve the overall appearance of your body and reduce other potential hygienic and medical problems.
- Liposuction: Liposuction is a surgical procedure to contour and sculpt various areas of the body by removing unwanted fat. Utilizing highly refined techniques and working off of years of experience sculpting bodies, Dr. Shuster’s method is best described as Liposculpture. During a consultation, Dr. Shuster will make recommendations based on the unique features of each patient to achieve the desired result.
- Abdominoplasty: Commonly referred to as a tummy tuck, this procedure is designed to smooth or flatten the abdominal area. Dr. Shuster achieves this by removing excess fat and skin while tightening the muscles of the abdomen.
- Lower Body Lift: An extension of an abdominoplasty, a Lower Body Lift follows the bikini line around the entire body. This procedure tightens the soft tissues of the thighs and buttocks while removing excess skin and fat.
- Arm Lift: An arm lift, or brachioplasty, removes excess skin and soft tissue from the inner aspect of the arm caused by aging or significant weight loss. The result of this procedure is an improved upper arm contour, especially pronounced when the arm is raised.
Plastic Surgery for Men
As plastic surgery has become more main stream, its popularity with men has increased. According to the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, men underwent 192,306 cosmetic surgical procedures and 747,742 non-surgical cosmetic procedures during 2006. This accounts for 8.2% of all cosmetic plastic surgery performed in the United States.
The five most popular plastic surgery procedures for men are liposuction, eyelid surgery, rhinoplasty, male chest contouring, and facelifts. The five most popular non-surgical procedures for men are Botox treatments, laser hair removal, microdermabrasion, injectable fillers (such as Juvederm), and skin resurfacing.
Combining experience and state-of-the-art techniques, Dr. Shuster delivers safe, effective, longer-lasting results. Learn more about popular plastic surgery procedures for men below, or contact our South Florida office for additional information. For those outside of the Miami or Fort Lauderdale areas, or for patients on a tight schedule, you can also request an Online Consultation with Dr. Shuster to discuss your desired procedure.
Dr. Bernard A. Shuster has served as a member of Men’s Fitness Magazine’s Board of Advisers for his expertise in cosmetic plastic surgery.
Liposuction for Men
Liposuction, or more accurately liposculpture, is a procedure to contour the body by removing unwanted fat. Men have a predisposition to depositing fat in distinct areas. While virtually any area of the body can be involved, the more commonly affected areas include the abdomen, lower back (flanks), and chest. Many male patients will refer to the area around the abdomen and back as their “spare tire”. These areas are often frustrating due to their persistence despite regular exercise and a responsible diet.
Contouring these areas with liposuction leads to significant improvement. The fat deposits of the lower abdomen, flanks, and chest are generally superficial collections. That is, they are just under the skin. As such, they are often ideal areas for liposuction.
Liposuction for men typically involves a 1 to 2 hour procedure. Dr. Shuster performs these surgeries either at the outpatient surgery center or in the Hospital. To achieve the optimum results, he incorporates a variety of modalities based on each individual’s needs. These include tumescent technique, Power Assisted Liposuction (PAL), and Ultrasonic Assisted Liposuction (UAL). Following the procedure, there is always some degree of bruising and swelling that develops. Most men will return to work within a few days following liposuction. Bruising resolves in a week and swelling diminishes over the course of several weeks.
When considering liposuction, the first most important step is to assure the credentials and experience of your plastic surgeon. While complications are unusual, this is surgery.
If you wish to learn more about the various methods Dr. Shuster uses for this procedure, you can read more aboutliposuction from our Florida office, including information on recovery, results and follow up. You can also contact our office for additional information , or request a Virtual Consultation today.
Male Chest Surgery (Gynecomastia)
Surgery to contour the chest is a frequent request of our male patients. It typically involves an excess of tissue. This can vary from relatively small amounts of tissue that are out of proportion on a lean patient, to larger amounts of tissue that can appear more breast-like. The first step in the evaluation of patients with male breast enlargement is to determine if this is true gynecomastia, an enlargement of the actual breast tissue and glands. Alternatively, it may be an accumulation of fat or even excess skin (for example after weight loss). There are also times when it is a combination of the above. Gynecomastia may affect one or both breasts and at times may require an endocrinologic evaluation.
Treatment of male breast enlargement depends on the cause. Many cases can be treated with liposuction, especially cases involving primarily fat. When a large component is due to gynecomastia, an incision is made at the edge of the areola and the dense breast tissue can be excised. Often these two methods can be combined. For patients who have a significant excess of skin, more involved body contouring procedures may be necessary.
Contact our South Florida office to learn more about the various methods Dr. Shuster uses to contour men’s chests, or request a Virtual Consultation for additional information on male chest surgery.
Face Lift & Eyelid Surgery for Men
Face lift and eyelid surgery, either together or separate, ease signs of facial aging. Surgery of the eyelids removes excess skin and also allows for the fat pads, or bags, to be treated. Face lifts actually address the neck, jaw line, and lower half of the face. Dr. Shuster’s technique involves removing the excess skin, tightening the underlying muscle and repositioning the facial soft tissues.
While facial plastic surgery for men produces results as good as those for women, Dr. Shuster varies his methods specifically for his male patients. Dr. Shuster’s goals for face lift and eyelid surgery for men include a natural and enhanced appearance while at the same time preserving the side burns and hair lines, not leaving any signs that surgery has been performed. He feels this is especially important for men as they generally wear their hair shorter than women and do not have the luxury of concealer.
Facial plastic surgery for men can take 1 to 3 hours depending upon the extent of the procedure. There is typically swelling and bruising, much of which subsides during the first week. Most patients will take one week of from work depending upon their occupation.
Learn more about face lift surgery as well as eyelid surgery performed from our Florida offices.
Rhinoplasty (Nose Job) for Men
Rhinoplasty is among the most common plastic surgery procedures selected by male patients. In fact, it is the third most popular. Dr. Shuster’s philosophy in approaching this procedure for men is quite specific, These distinctions include creating a natural appearance that is proportional and harmonious with other facial features. Dr. Shuster maintains a natural, masculine appearance as opposed to the overly small, ‘operated look’ too often seen. It is his emphasis on preservation of masculine features which distinguishes Dr. Shuster.